Friday, May 22, 2009

Just One

As we rapidly approach the departure date for our trip, I find myself asking God to use all who are going to further the cause of His kingdom. I am one of those people who tends to imagine the way something is going to happen and then when it comes down to it, it usually looks nothing like what I had pictured. God says His plans are higher than mine, and I know that is so true. I have found that when I finally release that facade of control over a situation, He is able to blow away my expectations and show His awesome power.

This morning I was reading about when Jesus and His disciples got into the boat and sailed to Gadarenes, opposite Galilee. On the way a terrible storm arose and the boat was taking on water. Jesus' disciples were frightened and called for Him. He responded calmly and rebuked the wind and waves. When they arrived, the man called Legion, who was filled with many demons met them. This was a man who was cast out of society, a misfit, one whom no one loved. He was crazy, cutting himself, running naked in the tombs. If anyone was beyond help, it was this guy. The people of his city had bound him in chains and he had gotten away. They were happy to have him gone. To them, he wasn't even worth going after. But Jesus had other plans. Jesus not only cast out the demons, but when the people of the city came to see, they found him in his right mind, sitting peacefully with Jesus. He was healed, he was whole. After the people realized what had happened, they were afraid and sent Jesus and the disciple back across the sea.

That was the extent of Jesus trip and ministry in that area. He risked his life and those closest to him, sailed through the storm, and arrived in a new place where no one believed Him, all for one lost soul. Just one single, lost, frightened, apparently worthless soul. He was willing to give it all for just one.

I don't know what will come out of this trip, but God does. His will is perfect and His love for each one in unsurpassed. I am excited to see what He has, whether it be to reach thousands or just one.

As I read this story I was also struck with how the trip really had nothing to do with Jesus' followers, it was all about that one lost soul. However on the journey He used the storm to show His awesome power and majesty. Like I wrote in my last post, I really don't enjoy the storms, but when I am able to see God move through them, I am forever changed. I am brought just a little closer to His feet, and that is where I long to be.

2 comments:

  1. Not long now, Justin, and we will both see what God has planned. I too long to be at His feet and long to be doing exactly what He has planned. The mind blowing (and rather simple, now that I look at it) thing I am realizing as preparing for this trip is that I don't have to fly across 3 continents to be doing what He has planned for me - I can do it right here where I am. AND sometimes His plans involve trips, like this one. I already feel super blessed just to be chosen to go, and know that even in my imperfections, God can and will use me for HIS plans. Can't wait to meet you and work with you in Uganda!
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Jenn, Lexie's mom. She will be joining you on the Uganda trip. I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to send my 16 year old on a trip with people we do not know, to AFRICA! sigh. But, after reading over your blog, I came to the realization that I DO know so many of you! You are all a part of the body of Christ! And, it's our faithful Father who is sending her. Praising Jesus in advance for a successful trip!
    Blessings,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete